The District and environs in 1892, looking north. Martin Luther King, Jr., Way was then named "Sherman," McKinley and Roosevelt avenues "Mary" and "Catherine" (the names of James McGee's daughters), and Jefferson Avenue "St. Joseph." The Town Hall had not yet been moved from University and Sacramento, while the Southern Pacific's Dwight Way and Berkeley stations served commuters to Oakland and San Francisco (from a map issued by Chas. A. Bailey, Berkeley Land Owner, 20 Montgomery Street, San Francisco; see also History).